The Sheriff's Office recommends researching all available files prior to bidding at a foreclosure sale.
- Files pertaining to foreclosure sales can be found at the Clerk of the Circuit Court Office, 505 N. County Farm Rd., Wheaton. You must provide the clerk with the case number of the property you are interested in before you can study the file.
- Additional research is recommended at the Recorder of Deeds Office, 421 N. County Farm Rd., Wheaton to see if there are any taxes due or liens filed against the property. You may be subject to these liens or unpaid taxes if you purchase the property. To conduct this research you will need to provide the pin number.
- Foreclosure sales are held every Tuesday and Thursday at 10:00 a.m. in the jail visitation lobby of the Sheriff's Office, 501 N. County Farm Rd., Wheaton. Please check www.dupagesheriff.org for opening bids at 3:30 pm the day prior to the sale as we will not have bids any sooner than that time. Foreclosure is located under Civil Process on the website.
- To further assist in your research, the Sheriff's Office issues a foreclosure list on this website with the date the sale will be held, the case number, the address of the property and the name and telephone number of the attorney handling the case as well as opening bids the day before the sale.
- As mandated by state statute, foreclosure notices are published in the local newspaper of the town where the property is located for three (3) consecutive weeks prior to sale.
- Terms of all sales are “cash”, in the form of cash,
cashier’s check, or certified check. Ten percent (10%) of your opening bid is
due at the time of sale, the balance within twenty-four (24) hours. Failure to
pay the remaining balance within the twenty-four (24) hours shall result in the
forfeiture of the ten percent (10%) down payment.
- The bid check must be made out to a person or DuPage County Sheriff's Office. Not a corporate entity. If you are the successful bidder, you will endorse the check to "Sheriff of DuPage County." The balance due check must be made out to "Sheriff of DuPage County."
- A deed will be issued after the sale has been approved by a judge. This occurs approximately one week after the sale. Possession will be granted thirty (30) days from the date of approval.
- If the property is vacant you may motion the Court to grant immediate possession.
- Viewing of the property is prohibited unless invited by the present owner/occupant.